Scrub Typhus Turns Deadly When Diagnosis Is Delayed, See Treatment and Prevention Tips Here | India News
As the number of corona cases continues to rise in several states across the country, a new outbreak of the infection has been reported in Coochbehar district of West Bengal. News from Scrub Typhus. So far, 80 cases have been discovered since January. But what is this disease.
Scrub typhus: the disease
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Scrub Typhus or Bush Typhus is caused by bacteria called Orientia susugamushi. The disease is spread to humans through the bite of an infected mite-like insect. Most cases of Scrub Typhus are seen in rural areas of Southeast Asia, Indonesia, China, Japan, India, and northern Australia. In areas where Scrub Typhus has been found, there is a possibility of getting infected even if someone is there or walks over it.
Scrub typhus: symptoms
Signs and symptoms of the disease appear within 10 days of the insect bite or infection. Some of the symptoms on behalf of the CDC are given below:
1. A black spot at the bite site.
2. Fever and pain in the veins of the veins.
3. Mental changes like coma
4. The size of the lymph node increases.
5. In severe illness, there may be organ failure and bleeding which, if left untreated, can lead to death.
Scrub typhus: the diagnosis
Symptoms of Scrub Typhus are similar to many other illnesses and can be difficult to tell apart. If you have such symptoms, consult a doctor and inform him if you are going to a place where there is an epidemic of this disease. A blood test is usually done. There are other tests depending on the symptoms, such as skin biopsy, western blot, immunofluorescence, etc.
Scrub typhus: treatment
The CDC recommends treatment for this condition:
Scrub Typhus should be treated with doxycycline antibiotics. Doxycycline can be given to people of any age. The sooner antibiotics are given after symptoms appear, the better the results will be. Those who are treated with the application of doxycycline recover quickly. So, if the above symptoms occur, contact the doctor immediately.
Scrub typhus: prevention
It is always better to prevent disease than to cure it by tackling resistance. Since he doesn’t have a vaccine yet, here are some prevention tips.
1. It is necessary to stop going to places where there is a possibility of contracting the disease. If you are going to a country that is experiencing an epidemic of scrub typhus, avoid places with thick vegetation as there may be this mite here.
2. Keep the pesticide with you, use it according to the instructions on its label.
Scrub Typhus: The CDC offers additional guidance
1. Use permethrin in clothing and equipment or buy things that are available with permethrin. Permethrin kills dust mites and can also be used in shoes, clothing, and camping gear. Clothing given with permethrin protects you even after many times. In the product information, see how long this protection will last.
2. Follow the instructions when applying. Do not use products containing permethrin directly on the skin. Must be used in clothing.
So you don’t see it much in some parts of the country, but you have to be careful if you go to a place where there is Scrub Typhus. And since there is no vaccine, it is very necessary to consult a doctor as soon as the appropriate protective measures and symptoms appear.